Water damage is considered to be the most serious and common emergencies that can be worst for your property. Usually, the water problems can be experienced as a result of flood, storm, HVAC leak, weakened roof, overflowing appliances, busted pipes, or sewage backup.
Whatever may be the reason, a water problem is threatening for your property. It also decreases your property value. So, it is very important to pay close attention to the safety of your property.
Apart from that, you should focus on addressing the water damage emergency quickly. This particular approach will help to prevent further damage to your property.
In case of any emergency, acting fast is regarded as the key to getting rid of the situation. This is known to be the best way to handle emergencies that arise in your commercial property, office, or house.
You should always be ready with a clear plan which you can implement quickly to stop the water damage. Any delays will contribute to causing even more harm to your property and so, you should always take the situation very seriously.
Below are mentioned some of the most important tips with the help of which you would be able to handle any emergencies that occurred due to water damage.
Tips To Handle Emergency Water Damage
1. Importance Of Protecting Yourself And Your Belongings
Water damage can be disastrous for your property. Not only that, but this is considered to be potentially harmful to your health.
Your safety is also compromised due to mold growth, flood dangers, and contaminated water. So, you need to take specific actions for protecting yourself such as:
- It is important to rescue the most valuable items like electronics or documents.
- Whenever you take re-entry into the property, it is suggested to wear protective clothing, waterproof boots as well as rubber gloves.
- If there is a risk of flood, then you should evaluate the particular area until it returns to the normal condition.
- You should shut off the electricity by switching off the circuit breakers. Another important thing is to unplug all the devices.
2. Preventing The Water Damage
In this aspect, you should focus on identifying the main source of the water problem. After identification, you need to take specific steps to prevent the damage.
Below are given some of the important steps that you should focus on following for effectively preventing water damage:
- A hot water tank leak or a burst pipe is considered to be a major cause of water damage. So, you should always know about the position of the shut-off valves. Again, you need to use them, if required.
- If a water damage emergency occurs due to a leaky ceiling, then it is very important to take the help of an expert who will locate the source of the leak.
- Again, you should focus on taking precautionary measures like ditching and sandbagging, in case a flood is predicted.
- Another important thing is to look for signs of mold such as discolored ceilings and foul odor.
3. Contacting Your Insurance Company
The insurance company contributes to play a very important role in helping you to effectively deal with an emergency. All that you need is to follow the below-given tips for making a successful claim.
- After the occurrence of damage, you need to call the insurance company as soon as possible. In this regard, you should focus on finding out the most important steps which the insurance company expects you to take.
- Another important step is to take clear photographs of the damaged areas. Not only that, but you should also take photos of any affected valuables.
- Apart from that, you should always be ready with detailed receipts and records.
- To document the damage and also estimate the repair cost, you should focus on getting a claims adjuster on site.
4. Starting Water Damage Cleanup Without Delay
If it is possible, then you should focus on starting the water damage cleanup within 24 to 48 hours. But, in some of the situations, the damage can be too extensive for any family or a single person.
In that case, it is very important to opt for the help of restoration service. They will make sure that all damage is effectively removed. In this way, these particular services will surely ensure your safety.
But, if you decide to start the drying process by yourself only, then you should focus on wearing protective gear. In this regard, you should throw away the things which are no longer safe to use or too damaged.
Not only that, but you should always focus on removing drywall, flooring, and insulation to prevent the spread of mildew and mold in your house.
You should also dry out and clean all the furniture pieces present in your home. Depending on the water damage level, you need to throw away the things that are extremely damaged.
5. Drying Things Out
It would be best if you start drying out your property within 24 hours. Again, this particular process can be completed in a period of 3 to 4 days.
In this way, you would be able to eliminate the growth of mildew and mold. In this regard, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- If possible, you should focus on lifting the wet furniture pieces and remove those from the affected area.
- To prevent carpet stains, you need to position aluminum foil between the wet carpet and also the legs of the furniture.
- You can make use of dehumidifiers and fans for drying out wet areas.
- Another important step that you can follow for removing humidity is to put your AC on.
- But, if you are finding difficulty in managing the entire thing, then it is best to take the help of professional restoration companies. These particular companies focus on using professional-grade equipment for accomplishing the job.
6. Checking For Mold
The development of mold usually begins in the first 24 hours of a flood. Once the mold has started to develop, it becomes a very difficult job to remove this. So, in this regard, you should focus on quickly removing all the items from the water and start drying them.
As a result, the chances for the development of molds usually decrease. If you still see the growth of molds, then you will have to completely remove the affected areas which are possible by opting for professional services.
This particular approach will help to restore your house to a healthy and safe condition.
7. Starting Restoring Your House
The water damage repair arising from flooding usually takes a huge amount of time to restore your house to normal condition.
So, in this case, you need to opt for repairs. Sometimes, you need to replace the walls and flooring. In case, there is a need for any major construction, then it is important to hire an expert.
8. Moving Back Into Your House
After successfully following all the above-mentioned steps, now, it is the best time to move back into your dry, clean, and mold-free house.
So, the above-discussed ones are considered to be some of the major steps that you should focus on following for effectively handling any emergency arising due to water damage. But, if you still have any doubts, then you can visit my website to know more.